Pupil Premium

The school is scheduled to receive £22,400 for the academic year 2015-2016.

Pupil Premium

submenu submenuHover Submenu

The Henrietta Barnett School is a wholly selective school admitting students on the basis of their academic ability alone; there should not initially be an “attainment gap” to close between those students who qualify for student premium support and those who do not. We are always, however, alert to the possibility that the progress of students coming from a background of relative disadvantage may not be as rapid as that of their peers unless measures are taken to support them throughout their school career.  We believe that one of the best ways to support our students is to ensure equal opportunities to all students, regardless of financial background.

Pupil Premium Allocation

The Government has allocated a specific Pupil Premium (PP) grant to every school. In 2016-17, the grant is £935 for each student who is known to have been eligible for Free School Meals at any time in the last six years. We receive this money in regular instalments, and these funds are in addition to the main school budget (the General Annual Grant). During the financial year 2015617, which covers part of the academic year 2015/16 and part of the academic year 2016/76 we expect to receive funding of £22,440.

At Henrietta Barnett, interventions for students are decided on an individual, needs-led basis. This means that students are able to benefit from more than one intervention at any one time.

Programme for 2016-2017: How we intend to spend our funding

School Aim

Implementation

Expected outcome

Continue with the reduction of Year 7,8 and 9 class sizes and also reduce class sizes in Year 10 to ensure that all students in KS3 are taught in classes of no more than 25 students

Year -10 form class size reduced from 31 to 25. 

Each student in Y7-10 will receive more individual attention from their form tutor and subject teacher. This should lead to an increase in the care and guidance given pastorally and academically to each student.

Continue with second Review Day for all year groups

A follow up day of one to one tutorial sessions between students and their form tutor(s) to help build positive relationships.  The aim of the day is to review holistically each individual’s progress and wellbeing.

All students are able to benefit from individual initial support and on-going positive working relationships.

Learning a Musical Instrument

Supporting students who have shown a particular aptitude for music or have expressed a desire to learn a musical instrument.

All students are able to benefit from the extensive instrumental lessons on offer.

School Counsellor/Pastoral Support

Maintain the increase in school counselling provision and to continue to enable all students to have access to a school counsellor.  Introduce counsellor led PSHCE sessions at the beginning of each key stage to encourage use of the support that is in place.

All students are able to benefit from extensive pastoral care and guidance which is key to emotional wellbeing.

Career Transition Guidance in each key stage.

Access to an External Careers Advisor as part of our internal Year 11 "Into The Sixth Form" programme. 

Introduce a workshop at Year 9 as part of the transition programme.

Year 9 & 11 students benefit from generic and specific careers advice from a professional careers advisor at a time when they are making subject choices.

Increase in targeted specialist educational support and strategies

Increase the provision of the SEND team by increasing the capacity of the SENCO

Targeted students, including those in receipt of Pupil Premium Funding, to benefit from earlier intervention from SENCO and school strategies

Introduction of trainee psychotherapy student for one day per week

Increase provision of support on offer to all students, both for strategies when faced with pastoral concerns and academic resilience

Introduction of Peer Listening scheme

Train Year 12 peer listeners and introduce the scheme as another support mechanism for KS3/4

To ensure early intervention, particularly in line with the KCSIE, September 2016.  Target PP students.

Introduction of Wellbeing Week

To focus on physical and emotional wellbeing and the impact of positive wellbeing on academic attainment and resilience.  To ensure no gap between PP and non-PP student wellbeing

All students benefit from wellbeing activities and talks throughout the week.  PP activities funded, with targeted students being invited to events.

Effectiveness of Pupil Premium Spending in 2015 – 2016

The school used this money to support systems and processes which ensure continued progress and achievement for those in vulnerable groups. This included:

• Tutor group sizes in Year 7 were again reduced to 25 students per form group and this reduction was also sustained in Year 8 and introduced into Year 9 with 25 students per form for the first time. Students gained more individual attention from their form tutors, and subject teachers, with beneficial effects on the quantity and quality of care, guidance and support they received.

• The continued stable increase to pastoral staffing was maintained to allow for Assistant Heads of Key Stage.  This again increased the quality and quantity of care and guidance that individuals and cohorts collectively received. 

• A dedicated student fund was allocated to allow participation in an extra-curricular activity which would otherwise have been beyond the financial means of a student in the qualifying group.  This helped to ensure that targeted students were able to access the many enrichment opportunities provided by the school which both support and extend the curriculum. This also included support with funding residential year group and curriculum trips, and outdoor learning activities such as the Duke of Edinburgh Award, as well as access to funds for learning musical instruments.

• All students in Year 11 had access to an external careers advisor as part of our “Into The Sixth Form” programme.  This meant that every student had access to both general and specific A level, university and career advice from a professional advisor.  This year Pupil Premium also funded a year 9 workshop for each student looking at GCSE option choices.  This was particularly considered due to the relatively large number of PP/Ever 6 students in Year 9.

• Our second Review Day enabled all students to benefit from individual initial support and on-going positive working relationships with their tutor(s). As planned, we also introduced a follow up review day in the Summer Term, which was also found to be highly beneficial as it enabled one-to-one conversations with students.

Progress of all students is monitored internally on a regular basis and in an annual report published by the Department for Education called RAISEonline. The school’s RAISEonline report shows that no gap in attainment was allowed to develop between those students who were eligible for pupil premium funding and those who were not.

Updated December 2016

treeRegular

State school nationally in The Times & Telegraph GCSE league tables in both August 2015 and August 2016

Related Links
promo1
Admissions
promo1
Contact Us
closeclose hover