Pupil Premium

The school is scheduled to receive £14,025 for the academic year 2017-2018.

Pupil Premium

submenu submenuHover Submenu

The Henrietta Barnett School is a wholly selective school admitting students on the basis of their academic ability alone; there should not initially be an “attainment gap” to close between those students who qualify for student premium support and those who do not. We are always, however, alert to the possibility that the progress of students coming from a background of relative disadvantage may not be as rapid as that of their peers unless measures are taken to support them throughout their school career. We believe that one of the best ways to support our students is to ensure equal opportunities to all students, regardless of financial background.

Pupil Premium Allocation

The Government has allocated a specific Student Premium grant to every school. In 2017-18, the grant is £935 for each child who is known to have been eligible for Free School Meals at any time in the last six years. We receive this money in regular instalments and these funds are in addition to the main school budget (the General Annual Grant). During the financial year 2017-18, which covers part of the academic year 2016/17 and part of the academic year 2017/8 we expect to receive funding of £14,025. At Henrietta Barnett interventions for students are decided on an individual, needs-led basis. This means that students are able to benefit from more than one intervention at any one time.

Programme for 2017-2018: How we intend to spend our funding 

School Aim

Implementation

Expected outcome

Continue with the reduction of Year 7,8 and 9 class sizes and also reduce form group sizes in KS4 to ensure that all students in KS3 are taught in classes of no more than 26 students 

Year 7-11 form class size reduced from 31 to 26. Teaching classes for all subjects in KS3 reduced to 26

Each student in Y7-11 will receive more individual attention from their form tutor and subject teacher. This should lead to an increase in the care and guidance given pastorally and academically to each student.

Continue with second Review Day for all year groups

A follow up day of one to one tutorial sessions between students and their form tutor(s) to help build positive relationships. The aim of the day is to holistically review each individual’s progress and wellbeing. 

All students are able to benefit from individual initial support and on-going positive working relationships. 

Extra-Curricular Activities including learning a Musical Instrument, involvement in School Productions, involvement in School Teams 

Supporting students who have shown a particular desire to take part in activities. 

All students are able to benefit from the extensive extracurricular programme on offer.

School Counsellor/Pastoral Support

Further increase in school counselling provision and to continue to enable all students to have access to a school counsellor. Now three different school counsellor options and CAMHS on site covering four days a week. 

All students are able to benefit from extensive pastoral care and guidance which is key to emotional wellbeing. 

Career Transition Guidance Y11/12 and Y9/10 

Access to an External Careers Advisor as part of our internal Year 11 "Into The Sixth Form" programme and Year 9 GCSE options programme.

All students benefit from generic and specific careers advice from a professional careers advisor.

Continuation of trainee psychotherapy student for one day per week and introduction of further trainee counsellor.

Increase provision of support on offer to all students, both for strategies when faced with pastoral concerns and academic resilience

Extension of Peer Listening scheme

Train Year 12 peer listeners, maintain Year 13 peer listeners, and continue the scheme as another support mechanism for KS3/4

To ensure early intervention, particularly in line with the KCSIE, September 2016. Target PP students.

Extension of Wellbeing Week and introduction of Wellbeing Day 

To focus on physical and emotional wellbeing and the impact of positive wellbeing on academic attainment and resilience. To ensure no gap between PP and non-PP student wellbeing

All students benefit from wellbeing activities and talks throughout the week. PP activities funded, with targeted students being invited to events. 

Effectiveness of Pupil Premium Spending in 2016 – 2017

The school used this money to support systems and processes which ensure continued progress and achievement for those in vulnerable groups. This included:  Tutor group sizes Year 7 were again reduced to 25 students per form group and this reduction was also sustained in Year 8-10 with 25 students per form for the first time. Students gained more individual attention from their form tutors, and subject teachers, with beneficial effects on the quantity and quality of care, guidance and support they received.

 The continued stable increase to pastoral staffing was maintained to allow for assistant heads of key stage. This again increased the quality and quantity of care and guidance that individuals and cohorts collectively received.

 A dedicated student fund was allocated to allow participation in an extra-curricular activity which would otherwise have been beyond the financial means of a student in the qualifying group. This helped to ensure that targeted students were able to access the many enrichment opportunities provided by the school which both support and extend the curriculum. This also included support with funding residential year group and curriculum trips, and outdoor learning activities such as the Duke of Edinburgh Award, as well as access to funds for learning musical instruments.

 All students in Year 11 had access to an external careers advisor as part of our “Into The Sixth Form” programme. This meant that every student had access to both general and specific A level, university and career advice from a professional advisor. This year Pupil Premium also funded a year 9 workshop for each student looking at GCSE option choices. This was particularly considered due to the relatively large number of PP/Ever 6 students in Year 9.

 Our second Review Day enabled all students to benefit from individual initial support and on-going positive working relationships with their tutor(s). As planned, we also introduced a follow up review day in the Summer Term.

Progress of all students is monitored internally on a regular basis, we have introduced subject teachers reviewing targeted students’ progress in the Spring and Summer Term, reviewing the interim tracking data of PP students in the Autumn Term, regular conversations about PP students within the Pastoral Team and regular highlighting of students in the School’s Curriculum meetings. Current data shows that no gap in attainment was allowed to develop between those students who were eligible for pupil premium funding and those who were not at GCSE level.

Updated December 2017

treeRegular

State school nationally in The Times GCSE league tables in August 2015, August 2016 and August 2017

Related Links
promo1
Admissions
promo1
Contact Us
closeclose hover