Pupil Premium

The school is scheduled to receive £22,440 for the academic year 2015-2016

Pupil Premium

submenu submenuHover Submenu

Pupil Premium Allocation

The Government  has allocated a specific Student Premium grant to every school. In 2015-16, the grant is £935 for each child who is known to have been eligible for Free School Meals at any time in the last six years. We receive this money in regular instalments  and these funds are in addition to the main school budget (the General Annual Grant). During the financial year 2015/16, which covers part of the academic year 2014/15 and part of the academic year 2015/16 we expect to receive funding of £22,440.

At Henrietta Barnett interventions for students are decided on an individual, needs-led basis. This means that students  are able to benefit from more than one intervention  at any one time.

Programme for 2015-2016: How we intend to spend our funding

School Aim

Implementation

Expected Outcome

Continue with the reduction of Year 7 and 8 class sizes and also reduce class sizes in Year 9 to ensure that all students in KS3 are taught in classes of no more than 25 students

Year 7, 8 and 9 and form class size reduced from 31 to 25. Teaching classes for all subjects in both year groups reduced to 25.

Each student in KS3 will receive more individual  attention from their form tutor and subject teacher. This should lead to an increase in the care and guidance given pastorally and academically to each student.

Introduction  of “Life After HBS” into the Sixth Form curriculum

Weekly timetabled session for Year 13 as part of our Sixth Form offering to include a number of specialist speakers on topics which students  idea as important (e.g. personal safety, mental health, drugs awareness, life at university etc.)

All students  are able to benefit from the range of speakers on offer, including on subjects that they might not otherwise have access to.

Introduction of second Review Day for all year groups

A follow up day of one to one tutorial sessions between students and their form tutor(s) to help build positive relationships.  The aim of the day is to holistically review each individual’s progress and wellbeing.

All students  are able to benefit from individual initial support and on-going positive working relationships.

Learning a Musical Instrument

Supporting students who have shown a particular aptitude for music or have expressed a desire to learn a musical Instrument.

All students  are able to benefit from the extensive instrumental lessons on offer.

Instrument.

School Counsellor/Pastoral Support

To increase the school counselling provision and to continue to enable all students to have access to a school counsellor.

All students  are able to benefit from extensive pastoral care and guidance which is key to emotional wellbeing.

Career Transition Guidance Y11/12

Access to an External Careers Advisor as part of our internal Year 11 "Into The Sixth Form" programme.

All students  benefit from generic and specific careers advice from a professional careers advisor.

Effectiveness  of Pupil  Premium  Spending  in 2014 – 2015

The school used this money to support systems and processes which ensure continued progress and achievement  for those in vulnerable groups. This included:

• Tutor group sizes Year 7 were again reduced to 25 students  per form group and this reduction was also sustained in Year 8 with 25 students per form for the first time . Students gained more individual attention from their form tutors, and subject teachers, with beneficial effects on the quantity and quality of care, guidance and support they received.
  • The increase to pastoral staffing was maintained to allow for assistant heads of key stage. This again increased the quality and quantity of care and guidance that individuals  and cohorts collectively received.
  • A dedicated student fund was allocated to allow participation  in an extra-curricular  activity which would otherwise have been beyond the financial means of a student in the qualifying group.  This helped to ensure that targeted students  were able to access the many enrichment opportunities  provided by the school which both support and extend the curriculum. This also included support with funding residential year group and curriculum trips, and outdoor learning activities such as the Duke of Edinburgh Award, as well as access to funds for learning musical instruments.
  • All students  in Year 11 had access to an external careers advisor as part of our “Into The Sixth Form” programme.  This meant that every student had access to both general and specific A level, university and career advice from a professional advisor.
  • Our first Review Day enabled all students to benefit from individual initial support and on- going positive working relationships with their tutor(s). It also enabled us to begin to implement a vertical “house” system throughout the school, with informal “peer support” set up.

Progress  of all students is monitored internally on a regular basis and in an annual report published by the  Department  for  Education  called  RAISEonline.  The school’s  RAISEonline  report for 2014–15 clearly shows  that no gap in attainment was allowed to develop between those students who were eligible for pupil premium funding and those who were not. Every student in this eligible group met or exceeded expected progress in both English and Mathematics from KS2 to KS4.

Updated December 2015

Related Links
promo1
Contact Us
promo1
Head's Welcome
closeclose hover