Sixth Form

The Sixth Form is a vibrant, friendly and happy community, where every student is valued and given individual attention, so that she is able to flourish and leave the school as a confident, accomplished, well-rounded individual, fully prepared for the challenges of Higher Education and work in the 21st Century. Most of our girls proceed to higher education; the school has an excellent record of success in university entrance including Oxford and Cambridge.

Sixth Form

submenu submenuHover Submenu

We welcome about fifty new external students every year, who bring new ideas to the Sixth Form and to the school. The Head of Sixth Form, Mrs Susan Graff, has overall responsibility for the girls’ academic and pastoral progress, supported by the Assistant Head of Sixth Form, Mr Stephen Cowling.

Academic

The Sixth Form curriculum aims to encourage a love of learning, intellectual curiosity and independent research. In lessons, students are expected to think for themselves, work collaboratively and are often asked to deliver presentations on a given topic.

All students study 4 A Level subjects in Year 12 and continue into Year 13. In 2016 - 2017, for unreformed subjects, students will take an AS exam at the end of Year 12 and an A Level exam at the end of Year 13. For reformed subjects, students will take the A Level exam at the end of Year 13.   We offer a wide range of new subjects including Economics, Government and Politics, Psychology and Further Mathematics.

There is an hour each week devoted to Global Perspectives, part of the Cambridge Pre-U qualification. Topics covered include genetic engineering and medical ethics, the religious-secular divide, the economic role of women and global climate change. As well as giving students an opportunity to discuss issues of global significance outside their A level specialisms, the course also develops students’ skills of analysis and critical thinking.

To stimulate and stretch students, and to broaden their exposure to their subjects, academic enrichment courses are run by departments or Sixth Formers with key note speakers invited in regularly to speak on a variety of topics.

Please click here to read about A Level reforms. 

Extra-Curricular Activities

Year 12 girls have an one hour session of sport each week. There are many weekly extra-curricular clubs and societies, some of which Sixth Form students lead themselves, as well as activities such as service in the community, work shadowing, Young Enterprise and Duke of Edinburgh.

Pastoral Care

In the Sixth Form, we encourage individuals to take responsibility for their learning, time management and future plans and to encourage them to pursue excellence and make a positive contribution to the school and the wider community. We also aim to teach them life skills in order for them to be mature and responsible adults. 

We provide an intensive induction programme and peer mentoring system to help girls make the transition from Year 11 to the Sixth Form.

Tutor groups are smaller than in KS4 so that students receive more individual attention to talk about academic progress and personal development. Students keep a comprehensive academic and extra-curricular profile, which tutors use to write the end of year school report and UCAS reference.

treeRegular quotes-retina

The teachers really care for each pupil and are concerned for their individual progress. Parent

treeRegular

A*/A grade at A Level 2016

treeRegular

of students in 2015 went to Russell Group universities; 42% to Oxbridge and/or read Medicine/Dentistry/Veterinary Science

Related Links
promo1
Admissions
promo1
Exam Results
closeclose hover