Sixth Form

The Sixth Form is a vibrant, friendly and happy community, where every student is valued and given individual attention, so that she is able to flourish and leave the school as a confident, accomplished, well-rounded individual, fully prepared for the challenges of Higher Education and work in the 21st Century. Most of our girls proceed to higher education; the school has an excellent record of success in university entrance including Oxford and Cambridge.

Sixth Form

submenu submenuHover Submenu

We welcome about fifty new external students every year, who bring new ideas to the Sixth Form and to the school. The Head of Sixth Form, Mrs Susan Graff, has overall responsibility for the girls’ academic and pastoral progress, supported by the Assistant Head of Sixth Form, Dr Harriet Knight.

Academic

The Sixth Form curriculum aims to encourage a love of learning, intellectual curiosity and independent research. In lessons, students are expected to think for themselves, work collaboratively and are often asked to deliver presentations on a given topic.

All students study 4 A Level subjects in Year 12 and continue into Year 13. Students will take the A Level exam at the end of Year 13.   We offer the subjects listed below. For details of the syllabus covered and entry requirements for the Sixth Form, please see the Year 12 admissions section.

Art                                                                                                  

Classical Civilisation                                                                                                                                          

Design and Technology: Product Design                                      

Economics                                                                                    

English Literature                                                                         

Geography                                                                                    

Government & Politics                                                                 

History            

Latin                                                                              

Mathematics                                                                                

Further Mathematics                                                                   

Modern Foreign Languages: French, German & Spanish                                        
Music                                                                                            

Biology                                                                        
Chemistry                                                                   
Physics          

To stimulate and stretch students, and to broaden their exposure to their subjects, academic enrichment courses are run by departments or Sixth Formers with key note speakers invited in regularly to speak on a variety of topics.

Please click here to read about A Level reforms.

Extra-Curricular Activities

There are many weekly extra-curricular clubs and societies, some of which Sixth Form students lead themselves, as well as activities such as service in the community, work shadowing, Young Enterprise and Duke of Edinburgh.

Pastoral Care

In the Sixth Form, we encourage individuals to take responsibility for their learning, time management and future plans and to encourage them to pursue excellence and make a positive contribution to the school and the wider community. We also aim to teach them life skills in order for them to be mature and responsible adults. 

We provide an intensive induction programme and peer mentoring system to help girls make the transition from Year 11 to the Sixth Form.

Tutor groups are smaller than in KS4 so that students receive more individual attention to talk about academic progress and personal development. Students keep a comprehensive academic and extra-curricular profile, which tutors use to write the end of year school report and UCAS reference.

treeRegular quotes-retina

The teachers really care for each pupil and are concerned for their individual progress. Parent

treeRegular

A* grade at A Level 2017

treeRegular

of students in 2017 went to Russell Group universities; including a record 30 to Oxbridge

Related Links
promo1
Admissions
promo1
Exam Results
closeclose hover