Government and Politics

Government and Politics is a new subject in Year 12. The course gives students opportunities to develop both their written and oral powers of expression. Emphasis is placed on discussions, debates and presentations, as well as more formal, written essays. Students of Government and Politics find themselves able to converse about a wide range of relevant, contemporary issues.

Government and Politics

submenu submenuHover Submenu

Key Stage 5

It is a subject that can be combined with the Arts, Sciences or Humanities. Many students go on to study Government and Politics or International Relations at university, often combining it with other subjects such as a language, Law, History, Philosophy, Economics or another Social Science. Others study an unrelated subject at University but discover that they have greatly broadened their education and interests by taking Government and Politics.

PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A DETAILED BREAKDOWN OF THE CURRICULUM. 

Curriculum Activities and trips

The School follows the Edexcel examination board syllabus.

There are three components to the A level course over the two years. The first is UK Politics, for which students will study political participation and core political ideas. Topics such as democracy, political parties, electoral systems, voting behaviour and the media will be covered, as well as the ideas of liberalism, conservatism and socialism. The second component is UK Government which will include the constitution, parliament, the prime minister and the executive as well as further political ideas. The third component is comparative politics in which students will learn about global and international issues.

By the end of the course, students have a comprehensive outline of how the political system works and prospects for reform. Important skills such as critical thought, evaluation and analysis will also be developed.

Students of Government and Politics go on trips and conferences, including a visit to Parliament. Relevant speakers also visit and there are numerous other enrichment opportunities. Many students find work experience with a MP or political body. It is a subject that lends itself very well to a wide range of careers. Politically related environments include the civil service, local government, international organisations, political parties, pressure groups and think tanks. In addition, studying the subject allows students to acquire a range of key skills and attributes that can be used in other areas such as Law, journalism, public relations, accountancy, management and marketing.

‘Living in a period of major political change, it is always interesting to study politics. It has helped me develop my own political views and beliefs.‘ HBS Student

treeRegular quotes-retina

Living in a period of major political change, it is always interesting to study politics. It has helped me develop my own political views and beliefs. HBS Student

Related Links
promo1
Contact Us
promo1
Head's Welcome
promo1
Exam Results
closeclose hover