Government and Politics

Government and Politics is a new subject in Year 12. The course gives students opportunities to develop both their written and oral powers of expression. Emphasis is placed on discussions, debates and presentations, as well as more formal, written essays. Students of Government and Politics find themselves able to converse about a wide range of relevant, contemporary issues.

Government and Politics

submenu submenuHover Submenu

Key Stage 5

It is a subject that can be combined with the Arts, Sciences or Humanities. Many students go on to study Government and Politics or International Relations at university, often combining it with other subjects such as a language, Law, History, Philosophy, Economics or another Social Science. Others study an unrelated subject at University but discover that they have greatly broadened their education and interests by taking Government and Politics.

PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A DETAILED BREAKDOWN OF THE CURRICULUM WITHIN EACH KEY STAGE

Curriculum Activities and trips

The School follows the Edexcel examination board syllabus. In Year 12, students consider the following AS topics: the nature and development of democracy; political parties; pressure and protest groups; different electoral systems; Prime Ministerial and Parliamentary power; the constitution; the judiciary and civil liberties.

The course focuses mainly on the United Kingdom, but there is some study of comparative politics and of European integration, as well as devolution. By the end of the course, students have a comprehensive outline of how the political system works and prospects for reform. It also develops important skills such as critical thought, evaluation and analysis.

The A2 course in Year 13 examines the following political ideologies: liberalism, conservatism, socialism, anarchism, nationalism, feminism, multiculturalism and ecologism.

Students of Government and Politics go on trips and conferences, including a visit to Parliament. Relevant speakers also visit and there are numerous other enrichment opportunities. Many students find work experience with a MP or MEP. It is a subject that lends itself very well to a wide range of careers. Politically related environments include the civil service, local government, the European Commission, political parties, pressure groups and think tanks. In addition, studying the subject allows students to acquire a range of key skills and attributes that can be used in other areas such as Law, journalism, public relations, accountancy, management and market

treeRegular quotes-retina

Living in a period of major political change, it is always interesting to study politics. It has helped me develop my own political views and beliefs. HBS Student

Related Links
promo1
Contact Us
promo1
Head's Welcome
promo1
Exam Results
closeclose hover