Modern Foreign Languages

“If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.” Nelson Mandela

Modern Foreign Languages

submenu submenuHover Submenu

Key Stage 3

Year 7: All students learn French and German. Lesson activities are very varied and students are immersed in the foreign language from the very first lesson in terms of hearing their teacher talking in the language, and building their own spoken confidence.

Years 8 and 9: All students continue with French and German and take Spanish as a third modern language from scratch. Students really enjoy the variety and challenge of three modern languages; they are frequently encouraged to make links between languages taught in school and those which they may speak at home.

Key Stage 4

Students opt to study the new Edexcel GCSE in at least one modern language, many choosing to take two. The 2016-17 Year 11 cohort will be the final year to take the Edexcel Certificate (IGCSE). Students have the opportunity to develop their linguistic fluency, skills and cultural appreciation beyond GCSE. Our aim is to provide cultural depth and breadth outside and well beyond the examination syllabus. 

Key Stage 5

The study at A Level of any Modern Language complements all other subjects offered in the Sixth Form enormously, as it provides numerous and significant transferable skills, such as communication, forming a logical argument and understanding foreign cultures at a deep level. Students acquire a rigorous knowledge and appreciation of language and society, as well as having the chance to enjoy the study of one or more literary texts or classic French, German or Spanish cinema. These are discussed and debated in the language, and this enhances our students’ ability to argue convincingly in a foreign language, as well as giving them a lifelong curiosity for the multifaceted and dynamic nature of European cultures.

‘….we should aspire to allow children who may be monolingual to strive to become as bilingual as they can possibly be.” Leszek Borysiewicz, Vice-Chancellor of Cambridge University, June 2014.

‘Languages here are more than just a subject.  I feel much more like a native speaker than a student.  Studying cultural topics and literature makes it exciting." HBS student

PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A DETAILED BREAKDOWN OF THE CURRICULUM WITHIN EACH KEY STAGE

Curriculum Activities and Trips

All Year 7 students take part in a cultural and adventure residential week in Normandy in June each year. Here, they appreciate French culture and history, as well as speak the language. KS4 students have the opportunity to go on either a French Exchange to Paris, a German exchange to Munich or a five day trip to Seville. Some students are able to go on two of these trips. For KS5 students a conference trip to Paris and a culture and language trip to Berlin have been offered in recent years. We run a diverse range of extra-curricular activities including French Debating Society and Translation Club, KS3 German and Spanish Clubs and Polyglot Society. Please see the MFL blog at https://hbsmuffle.wordpress.com/  

treeRegular quotes-retina

Hearing the language spoken and speaking ourselves is the most stimulating part of lessons. HBS Student

Related Links
promo1
Contact Us
promo1
Head's Welcome
promo1
Exam Results
closeclose hover