Religious Education

‘Science investigates religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge which is power; religion gives man wisdom which is control.’ Martin Luther King, Jr. 

Religious Education

submenu submenuHover Submenu

Key Stage 3

All students are given the opportunity to engage with religious and philosophical belief systems through the study of social and ethical issues. They are encouraged to formulate their own opinions and to be able to rationalise their conclusions. Students are invited to be open to having their views challenged, and to challenge the views of others, in an affirming and inclusive atmosphere. They are provided with opportunities to develop their own belief systems as well as to explore those of others. 

“RE has been the lesson I’ve looked forward to every week. Although we learn a lot, the lessons are relaxing.” HBS student

Key Stage 4

Students in Year 10 and 11 study AQA Specification A which has 2 components. Component 2 which is primarily studied in Year 10, examines moral issues, including those concerning crime and punishment,   dilemmas surrounding quality and sanctity of life such as euthanasia, abortion and the use of animals in research and questions about how we should care for the world we live in including the effects of war and the use of weapons of mass destruction.

In Year 11 we explore issues of social justice such as prejudice and discrimination, social responsibility and the role of charity in world faiths. This year we also spend more time on the elements covered in Component 1, which has as its main focus the beliefs and practices of the two world faiths that the students have chosen to study. For example exploring beliefs about the existence of God, how those of faith share their beliefs with others and what it means to be part of a worshipping community.

PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A DETAILED BREAKDOWN OF THE CURRICULUM WITHIN EACH KEY STAGE 

Curriculum Activities and trips

Students in KS3 will visit some places of worship, debate an ethical issue with an outside speaker and hear the moving story of how one woman survived Bergen Belsen. Students in Key stage 4 will visit the Hindu community at Bhaktivedanta Manor for a day on beliefs about animal welfare, caring for the environment and the role of women in the Hindu tradition.

treeRegular quotes-retina

RS is my favourite subject and the lessons are always exciting. I’ve had lots of fun. HBS Student

Related Links
promo1
Contact Us
promo1
Head's Welcome
promo1
Exam Results
closeclose hover