Religious Education

‘Science investigates religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge which is power; religion gives man wisdom which is control.’ Martin Luther King, Jr. 

Religious Education

submenu submenuHover Submenu

Key Stage 3

All students are given the opportunity to engage with religious and philosophical belief systems through the study of social and ethical issues. They are encouraged to formulate their own opinions and to be able to rationalise their conclusions. Students are invited to be open to having their views challenged, and to challenge the views of others, in an affirming and inclusive atmosphere. They are provided with opportunities to develop their own belief systems as well as to explore those of others. 

“RE has been the lesson I’ve looked forward to every week. Although we learn a lot, the lessons are relaxing.” HBS student

Key Stage 4

Students who opt for the GCSE course follow the AQA Specification A. This allows them to choose to use any or all of the six major world faiths to explore a wide variety of ethical issues, as well as a study of the beliefs and practices of two faiths which they choose to focus on. Conferences, debates, mock trials, hot seating and role playing are among the teaching and learning methods used. The department also invites a number of outside speakers to give talks on the topics studied, and film is also used to provide an insight into some of the themes. Students are encouraged to learn from each other and to reflect on the variety of responses provided by the faith communities to the issues they are studying. 

PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A DETAILED BREAKDOWN OF THE CURRICULUM WITHIN EACH KEY STAGE 

Curriculum Activities and trips

Students in KS3 will visit some places of worship, debate an ethical issue with an outside speaker and hear the moving story of how one woman survived Bergen Belsen. Students in Key stage 4 will visit the Hindu community at Bhaktivedanta Manor for a day on beliefs about animal welfare, caring for the environment and the role of women in the Hindu tradition.

treeRegular quotes-retina

RS is my favourite subject and the lessons are always exciting. I’ve had lots of fun. HBS Student

Related Links
promo1
Contact Us
promo1
Head's Welcome
promo1
Exam Results
closeclose hover