Student Leadership

We are very keen to give girls the opportunity to take on leadership roles which encourage them to develop strong communicative skills and to become proactive and independent learners.

Student Leadership

submenu submenuHover Submenu

At the start of each academic year, School Representatives are elected in each form in Years 7 to 11. Their role is to represent the tutor group, year group, key stage and whole student body. They have the opportunity to work with their Head of Key Stage in actively shaping and contributing to the tutorial programme. They also play a key role in planning and managing school events and and gathering views so they can represent their peers at School Council meetings.

In the Sixth Form, girls have the opportunity to take on a range of leadership roles and responsibilities within the school as part of the Head Girl Team and/or Prefect Teams.  Both roles involve working closely with the Senior Team, Head of Sixth Form and Assistant Head of Sixth Form in the planning, organising and managing of whole school events.  As well as representing the views, interests and aspirations of the student body, they have the opportunity to support younger students. The Head Girl Team run the School Council with representatives from every year group.  In addition, the whole Sixth Form contributes greatly to the smooth running of the school, running clubs and societies and helping with Music, Drama, Sports and charitable events. This is valued enormously by the school community.

School Council

The School Council comprises the Head Girl Team, Prefect Team, School Representatives from Years 7 – 11 and members of staff.  Prior to the building of our fabulous new library, the School Council meeting provided an opportunity for girls to hear about the plans for the new library and to discuss strategies for promoting wider reading across school. Prior to the meeting, Year 8 and 10 School Representatives gathered ideas from the forms and created a presentation. The girls put forward a variety of exciting ideas which they believed might enable their peers to expand reading horizons and create a ‘buzz for wider reading' throughout the school. Ideas raised included World Book Day plans, video book recommendations, book boxes in form rooms and student-led assemblies. Representatives then disseminated minutes of the meeting to all forms and further discussion in tutorial sessions followed. Subsequent meetings have been focused on topics such as the Development of Resilience and Opportunities for Vertical Interactions across Year Groups.  As well as Whole School Council Meetings there are also half termly Key Stage Council Meetings in Key Stages 3 and 4, and regular Prefect Meetings for the Sixth Form.

Sixth Form Societies

In addition to taking part in clubs and societies run by teachers, the Sixth Formers have the opportunity to set up and run their own societies for younger girls. Over recent years this has included a Japanese Club, Greek Club and Current Affairs society which runs a programme of lunchtime speakers which in recent years has included: Lucy Ann Holmes (NMP3 Campaign), Nick Pickles (Director of Big Brother Watch), Stephen Pound (MP and Shadow Minister for Northern Ireland), Tulip Siddiq (Parliamentary Candidate for Hampstead and Kilburn), Jean Lambert (Green Party Member of the European Parliament for London), Romola Garai (Actress & Lose the Lads’ Mags campaign), Melissa Benn (Writer and Campaigner), Drewery Dyke (NG), Amnesty International), Natalie Bennett (Leader, Green Party), Lynn Featherstone (then Liberal Democrat MP and Home Office minister), Caroline Cruado-Perez (feminist activist).

treeRegular

A*/A grade at GCSE

Related Links
promo1
Contact Us
promo1
Head's Welcome
closeclose hover